For once, I'm posting about something that isn't about me complaining about being single. Shocking, right?
I have an interview this afternoon for a job I don't really want. It's within the same library system I'm in now and although this position is for part time, it is a small step up from the one I have now, both responsibility and pay wise. I know this is an opportunity I should be looking forward to, but I just can't.
I think the main reason why I'm dreading the possibility of getting this job is because if I do get it, I'll have to leave the people I work with now. Leaving the people I work with now has been something I've been dreading for a long time, and now that I'm in a position where it really could happen, I've become pretty depressed about it. I'm pretty sure having the job I have and working with the people I work with has kept me from falling into some deep depression.
For the most part, I work with people who are a little younger than me so I can relate to them a little bit. I'm pretty sure if I get this new job, I'll be working with people who are older than me and it will be more difficult for me to relate to them. Also, I feel like I can relate more to the people I work with now than I can with people who I've been close to for years. My close friends are all off living their adult lives with working full time jobs, getting married, and starting their own families; and then there's me. I just feel like we're on completely different pages and it's hard for me to not feel distant from them.
Work now has become a fun place to be and there have been many times where I've been in a bad mood and then I've gone to work and my mood is instantly lifted. I'm terrified of losing that. I know I can try to make arrangements to see them outside of work, but it just wouldn't be the same.
I believe that things do happen for a reason and that's something I've been trying to keep in mind lately. It's just that actually believing it is easier said than done.
I used to work at a library as well. I understand where you're coming from--working there was often the highlight of my day, especially when I didn't have much of a social life otherwise.
ReplyDeleteAt least you still work at the same place as the other younger people (I'm assuming you're all pages or something similar at the library). I would definitely try to make an effort to still hang out with them. You'll still share the same common memories and inside jokes, and they'll help to maintain a bond between all of you.
As for this new position, I think it definitely sounds like a good opportunity. You've said that you're trying to pay off your student debts, and getting a pay raise definitely will help. Also, it's a blessing because you don't have adjust to a totally new work environment, but you still get more responsibility and something new to pad your resume with! :)